+2   +1   -1

Double Hunter

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Altro pezzo trovato su NF :)

-introduction-

-interviewer's questions-

Interviewer: This is your first US convention. What do you think so far?

Kishimoto: I'd say... first of all amazing, incredible. I mean, just the large scale of the event just blew me away.

So when I actually went to the bathroom right before the panel yesterday, I thought I recognized the dude who was next to me. It came to me afterwards, last night, that he was actually someone who had talked about Naruto on Youtube; he was a Youtuber.

You know, it never even crossed my mind back when I saw him on Youtube, I'd ever run across this person. I was very impressed.

I had actually watched a lot of this person's videos, so it was really bizarre that someone I'd only seen on-screen, I'd actually run into, face-to-face. I got a little emotional.

Interviewer: How do you think he'd have felt knowing who he was being next to?

Kishimoto: Well, actually, it's interesting you'd ask. The person recognized me and he actually asked me for my autograph...

Interviewer: In the bathroom?

Kishimoto: Yes, this all happened in the restroom

Another guy: This was in the bathroom and we actually stopped the guy from getting his autograph, otherwise it would have been a big scene in the bathroom.

Translator: Sensei does say he felt a little embarrassed and yet rude because he couldn't fulfill the Youtuber's request.

Interviewer: Well, that guy will still have a great story.

Kishimoto: (laughs)

Another guy: Maybe he listens to us too, so possibly he'll hear your side of the story.

Sorry, Youtuber.

(everybody laughs)

Interviewer: Have you seen any cosplayers who impressed you?

Kishimoto: I have to say that there is at least one Evangelion cosplayer whom I distinctly remember seeing was like 'wow'. I think it was an Asuka cosplayer. And of course all the Naruto cosplayers... so impressive. You could see how much effort, energy and passion they put into making the costumes down to the tiniest details.

There were even a couple of people who had Naruto related tattoos and/or tattoos of Naruto. That was really impressive.

Sometimes it was a little confusing. For example if the person's physique was a lot different than the character they were trying to cosplay as. (laughs) But for the most part I could figure out who was doing who.

Interviewer: (laughs) Like a really skinny Chouji or something.

Kishimoto: Not to offend any fans out there, but actually it was more the reverse.

Yet another guy: Yesterday the way Kishimoto-sensei showed so much love and time to the fans, was amazing. I'd like to thank him on behalf of the fans.

Kishimoto: Please don't thank me. I should be the one thanking the fans and you.

I actually got very emotional myself. To see... everyone had such kind words to say, so full of passion.

Interviewer: It was an emotional panel. I think a lot of people actually cried. It was sweet.

Translator: Autograph session too.

Interviewer: We heard you were heavily involved with Boruto: Naruto the Movie. What was it like working on the project and what did you do specifically?

Kishimoto: Boruto the Movie came up just as I was completing the series. I was just about to take a breather and then like 'oh, they have another project for you'. They asked me to handle the entire script. Originally, I think, they were planning to give me about a month, but they ended up allowing me to have three months. But, you know, that was three months of work that I had not originally anticipated. Thankfully, it gave me enough time to really write what I wanted to write into it.

On the other hand, it was also much easier because I didn't have to draw all the art.

Interviewer: Last question before we get to the twitter questions. What do you think of New York so far?

Kishimoto: Good burgers. (laughs)

We had really delicious burgers. In fact, we actually had burgers for today's lunch too. We went Shake Shack, but great burgers...

Interviewer: America's famous for hamburgers.

Ramen is also good.

Kishimoto: I haven't actually had the opportunity to eat ramen yet. But I suppose it's not necessarily recommended either.

Interviewer: (laughs) Yeah, it's better in Japan.

-Shounen Jump twitter feed questions-

Interviewer: "At what point in the story did you think of Kaguya and the Sage of the Six Paths?"

Kishimoto: So I would say it was towards... well, maybe it's better to say: well into the second half of the series.

Actually, I'll correct myself. Kaguya was towards the end, or at least well into the series... In terms of the So6P... At least the concept for the So6P existed from the Jiraiya arc, so more towards the middle.

Interviewer: "Who is your favorite female character, and why?"

Kishimoto: Does this mean within my own Naruto?

Interviewer: Yeah.

Kishimoto: You know, I'm a little shy having to mention a character that I myself created. Euhm... I guess... Maybe I should say Hinata.

Yeah, I think I'll go with Hinata.

Interviewer: (laughs) Oh, Naruto-kun.

Translator: Why?

Kishimoto: Why? Eh... Hmmm... I guess it's because she's not violent at all?

Interviewer: (laughs)

Kishimoto: Yeah, Sakura... she's kind of a hard woman. (laughs)

Interviewer: (laughs) That's Sasuke's problem now.

Kishimoto: (laughs) You're right.

Interviewer: (laughs) He deals with it by not being home.

(everbody laughs)

Interviewer: "How does if feel, knowing you created a series that inspired and uplifted so many people around the globe?"

Kishimoto: In truth, it hadn't really sunk in. I had heard about how popular it was and of course the editorial staff and the situation with Toonami(?); we got fan letters from abroad etc. But it wasn't until yesterday, in fact, the autograph session after the panel, when every single person who came by would say how grateful they were, how much Naruto had impacted their lives. I really started feeling it. I'd say that the most astounding moment of the night was when a young gentleman came up and said: 'Naruto literally saved my life. I was contemplating suicide and it was when I read Naruto that I decided to turn my life around. I'm here because of Naruto.'.

Interviewer: Wow.

Kishimoto: He started crying and I almost started crying too. That's when I really felt that perhaps I did something that managed to help others. It felt really good.

Interviewer: And that was only 100 people out of millions.

Kishimoto: At the same time that it made me so happy, I felt even more grateful that something I produced is able to help others.

Interviewer: That's beautiful.

Interviewer: "What advice would you give to any beginning mangaka or writers?"

Kishimoto: Maybe do a little bit of what you want to do every day. Practice makes perfect. And never give up.

Also, whether its drawing or writing, to make sure you love your craft and your work. Because the more you love it, it won't seem like a burden or a stress. That's always important.

Interviewer: "Is there something you wish you had included in Naruto, but didn't?"

Kishimoto: I did briefly mention earlier that I kinda... If I had to really pick something it would be that I wanted to talk about Sakura, or actually her backstory, more, in terms of her parents. But in the big picture, I think I did manage to put everything in that I wanted.

Interviewer: "I think Madara is the best villain in any media. How did you come up with his character in terms of design?"

(rambling between the interviewer and translator about to which Madara the question's referring to... they decide to go with the real one)

Kishimoto: Madara is part of the Uchiha clan -- in fact, he's one of the earliest of the Uchiha clan. Sasuke of course is also Uchiha. So I was trying to think of 'if I had to teach(?) Sasuke and also create kind of an older -- not just age wise but time wise chronologically... You know, Sasuke turns pretty dark for a lot of the series and I wanted to do something even darker and more evil. Almost kind of a concretion of evil. That's how I came up with Madara. Because they're related both in terms of their dark side but also because they're related by blood -- many generations apart -- I suppose some fans will see that they're pretty similar visually as well.

Interviewer: I have to say that Madara/Tobi/one-eyed mask is amazing.

(banter between the translator, Kishimoto and the editor)

Translator: I put in a little sidequestion. We were talking about the mask and I said: 'Well, I thought in the end it [I assume she's referring to Obito's early Part II mask design] was because of the teleportation jutsu .'. Sensei says: 'Actually, it's just because I thought it would be really easy to draw.'

Interviewer: (laughs)

Kishimoto: In the end though, it actually ended up being more difficult than I had originally imagined. Because of course maintaining the same, equal distance between the turns of the spiral, every time... I had to take the time to make sure I did it right each time so... it ended up being quite a bother.

Interviewer: And from different angles too.

Kishimoto: Yeah, when I was designing, I was doing full-frontal. I didn't even think about different perspectives. So when I realised I'd have to draw it from the side... oh man.

Interviewer: "When working on Naruto, what was your most challenging situation that you had to overcome?"

Kishimoto: I'd actually have to say that it wasn't necessarily any of the plotlines. My most difficult challenges were with the deadlines, with time itself. Also, there was a period when I had injured my lower back, but I still had to keep working, and having to work through the pain. Those would be the two biggest challenges.

Interviewer: I'm glad you're feeling better.

Looking back at the time I had hurt my lower back. I actually had to draw while I was on my side, because I just couldn't sit up for long periods of time. And unfortunately for that chapter, my editor showed up to pick up the pages, but I couldn't ink so they were just rough sketches. That was the one time I really saw my editor PO'd. I was scared actually.

Interviewer: Was it you? [to Kishimoto's latest editor]

Editor: (laughs) No.

(everybody laughs)

Kishimoto: It was actually my first editor. The one before before before this one.

-end of twitter feed questions-

Interviewer: Numerous fans on the SJ twitter feed wanted to thank you for making a manga that has influenced or even changed their lives. Is there anything you want to say to American fans?

Kishimoto: I touched upon this earlier. I'm the one who should say 'thank you' to my fans. I feel like my life is now fulfilled, knowing the impact that my work has had on the people out there, through the words they've given me. It's all their thanks and all their kind and warm words that I've received that has now given me encouragement. Because I'm just like everyone else. I too have had obstacles I've had to overcome and hearing how grateful and happy everyone is really gives me the will to keep going on.

Interviewer: That is beautiful.

Interviewer: Final question. Can I get an autograph please!?

Thank you so much. And thank you for being on the Shounen Jump podcast. You were great.

(everbody laughs)

Kishimoto: What character?

Interviewer: Anybody-- oh, euhm, Orochimaru.

Kishimoto: (laughs) Orochimaru? You picked the hard one.

-outro-

(Kishimoto draws Orochimaru)

(the Jiraiya cosplayer is brought up as well)

(final thanks and a Tsuchikage joke)

Apprezzo che Kishi ha detto chiaramente che Kaguya è stata pensata alla fine, come appunto era ovvio XD

Molto carina questa intervista, rispetto alla precedente :)

Edited by Morgana le Fay - 16/10/2015, 16:28

201 replies since 6/10/2014, 23:17   5362 views